Join a Delegation
LISTENING. ACTION. LEARNING. VIOLENCE REDUCTION.
Delegations are a primary way to become involved in the work of CPT.
Christian Peacemaker Teams sends short-term (7-14 day) peacemaker delegations into crisis settings around the world. These delegations link communities experiencing violence with concerned individuals, churches and groups. Delegations offer participants a first-hand experience of CPT's on-the-ground experiment in faith-based, active peacemaking grounded in the transforming power of Gospel nonviolence.
Delegations are open to all interested people and do not require specific nonviolence training -- just fill out an application. You do not need to identify as Christian to join a CPT delegation. Delegations are also the first step for those considering joining CPT's Corps and Reserve Corps of peacemakers ready to staff CPT's violence-reduction projects. Apply here.
CPT has limited funds available to assist applicants who otherwise couldn't participate. CPT is committed to undoing racism and will give preference in funding assistance to applicants from communities which have been disadvantaged by racism. Apply here.
Delegation participants seek to:
- Understand conflict through visits with grassroots leaders, community members, church and human rights workers, legislators and officials
- Encourage individuals and communities experiencing violence
- Challenge violations of human rights
- Promote active nonviolence as a means of settling disputes
- Support movement towards nonviolent social change through listening, public witness, prayer vigils, dialogue
- Reduce violence through an international presence in affected communities/areas
- Connect their own churches and communities with the work of nonviolence
CPT seeks individuals with:
- Interest and/or experience in international human rights work
- Commitment to and/or experience in nonviolent action
- Commitment to undoing racism
- Willingness to engage in public witness, vigils and worship
- Openness to participate in daily periods of team worship and reflection
- Physical stamina for long days. Some physical rigors are involved with most delegations.
Participants should be prepared to:
- prepare for the trip by becoming familiar with conditions in the region
- spend 7 to 14 days with CPT team and local partners
- raise money to cover costs of the trip
- communicate their experiences to local congregations, groups and media on return
Delegates are expected to raise a specific amount to cover the costs of the delegation. The amount covers round-trip airfare from a designated US or Canadian city (except as noted), all in-country travel, simple accommodations, two-to-three meals per day, honorariums and other delegation fees. (Individuals who plan to travel from other than the US or Canada, please contact the CPT office for details.)